Bible Will I Find:
Different Types Of Baptism?
By: Gary Colley
There are six types of baptism found in the Bible. Four of these have served their purpose and have passed away. Only one is in effect today, and one is yet to come. Almost thirty years after the establishment of the Lord's church, Paul informs us that there is "ONE baptism" (Eph.4:5). Let us briefly notice these:
1. The baptism of Israel, was not for us, nor was it commanded. (I Cor.10:1-4).
2. John's baptism, ended at the cross, and is no longer valid (Acts 19:1-7).
3. The baptism of suffering, refers to the suffering of Christ. (Lk.12:50).
4. Holy Spirit baptism, was promised only to the apostles, and to prove to the Jews that the Gospel was also for the Gentiles. (Acts 11:17).
5. Baptism of fire, is reserved by God for the ungodly at the end of time. (Matt.3:11-12: Rev.20:14).
6. Water baptism, is a commandment of Christ, and is for ALL people under the Gospel plan of salvation.
Christ himself, commanded, "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. . . He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved . . "(Matt. 28:19; Mk. 16:16). Our obedience to the commandment of Christ (water baptism) will save us from the last baptism to be administered.
The baptism of fire, is the last baptism which Christ will administer (Matt.3 : 11), and which He has reserved for all the ungodly. (II Thess. 1:7-9).
-Bud Butcher, elder of the East End church of Christ